Chios Mills
Chios Island Travel Guide, Chios Greece
The Island of Chios
Chios Island Travel Guide, Chios Greece
Chios Island Travel Guide, Chios Greece
Chios Island Travel Guide, Chios Greece
Chios Island Travel Guide, Chios Greece

Passports and Visas

To enter Greece one needs a valid passport or, for EU nationals, travel documents (ID cards). When registering in a hotel or pension in Greece, your passport or EU travel documents must be shown. Nationals of Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, New Zealand, Norway, Iceland, Switzerland and the USA can stay in Greece for up to three months without a visa. Citizens of EU member countries may live in Greece for an unlimited period of time. Greek embassies have a list of other nationalities allowed in without a visa. The list changes, but includes nationals of the European principalities of Monaco and San Marino and most South American countries. Those not on the list, such as South Africans, need a visa. For an updated list of these nationalities, contact your nearest Greek embassy.
Take note that Greece will refuse entry to Somalian nationals with passports issued after January 1991 and holders of Yugoslav passports with a ’Macedonia’ renewal stamp.
If you arrive on a flight or boat from another EU state, then you’ll be treated as all other EU nationals and your passport will not be stamped. For other entry questions, US travelers should contact the Embassy of Greece at 2221 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Washington DC 20008, telephone (202) 939-5800, or Greek consulates in Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles, New Orleans, New York, and San Francisco, and Greek embassies and consulates around the world. Additional information is available at
If you are not a EU national and you  wish to remain in Greece for longer than three months, you should officially apply for an extension. This can be done through the Ypiresia Alodapon (Aliens’ Bureau); prepare yourself for concerted bureaucracy. In other locations you visit the local police station, where the staff are apt to be more co-operative.
Unless they are of Greek descent, visitors from non-EU countries are currently allowed only for six-month extension to a tourist visa, which costs 32,28 Euro. EU nationals are allowed to stay indefinitely. If you don’t have a work permit, you will be required to present pink, personalized bank exchange receipts totaling at least 1467,35 Euro for the preceding three months, as proof that you have sufficient funds to support yourself without working. Possession of not expired credit cards, a Greek savings account passbook or travelers’ cheques can to some extent substitute for the pink receipts.
If you overstay your time and then leave under your own power -i.e. are not deported - you’ll be given a 64,56 Euro spot fine upon departure, effectively a double-priced retroactive visa extension; no excuses will be entertained except perhaps a doctor’s certificate stating you were immobilized in hospital.
Greek embassies can provide assistance to travelers and are usually the best places to contact for the most recent information.
The other important condition regards travel to Turkey. Travelers from Chios to Tsesme, Turkey have to pay 3.000 Drs. port fees on departure.
Turks need Visa in order to travel to Greece.